JFN is committed to creating an environment that exemplifies Jewish values such as kavod habriot (human dignity), and hinuch (learning) and the Talmud’s teaching that kol yisrael arevim zeh bazeh, that “all Israel is responsible for one another” (Shavuot 39a). Jewish tradition recognizes that every person iscreated in the Divine image and should be treated as such, and the Jewish values of repairing the world, mutual responsibility, and not standing idly by while others are being harmed are fundamental to the creation, implementation, and upholding of this Code of Conduct.
JFN is committed to creating a harassment-free environment for all participants, including attendees, staff, speakers, vendors and volunteers. Harassment as outlined below is considered by JFN to be a serious form of professional misconduct.
This Code of Conduct is established in order to promote safety and respect in all of our activities. We expect all participants at JFN activities to abide by this policy in all venues, including all JFN events, the JFN conference, ancillary events and unofficial social gatherings:
Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions;
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech;
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants;
- Alert JFN leadership if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this policy, even if they seem minor.
The following behaviors do not belong at JFN events:
- Sexual harassment of any kind, including unwelcome sexual attention and inappropriate physical contact;
- Harassment that discriminates against a specific group of people based on age, race, sex, ethnicity, national origin, religion, language, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, disability, health conditions, socioeconomic status, marital status, domestic status, or parental status (hereafter, simply harassment);
- Abuse of power (including abuses related to position, wealth, race or gender).
Contact us to report an incident
If while at a JFN event, you have been involved in or have witnessed an incident that violates the Code of Conduct, please report to email@example.com or to JFN COO Judy Mann at (212) 726-0177 x204. Reports will be treated as confidential. Share as much information as you can to help JFN make a thorough investigation of the incident.
JFN will investigate all incidents reported with discretion and confidentiality. JFN reserves the right to bar any person who violates our Code of Conduct from attending JFN events, and/or to cancel the membership of the person.
About the Safety Respect Equity Coalition
This Code of Conduct was created in partnership with the Safety Respect Equity Coalition. The Coalition works to ensure safe, respectful and equitable Jewish workplaces and communal spaces by addressing sexual harassment, sexism and gender discrimination. Learn more at safetyrespectequity.org